Battery Safety

Article from the Child Accident Prevention Trust

You were probably as devastated as we were to hear about the death of little Harper-Lee Fanthorpe, who swallowed a button battery she found in a remote control.


Like many parents, her mum had no idea of the dangers.


If you have a chance to talk to parents, we’re right behind you with a set of free resources to run a short discussion session, whether virtual or face-to-face.


We’ve pulled these together in a new section Session resources on our button battery hub.



Here you’ll find:


Button battery in bacon film

Our time-lapse video offers a compelling visual insight into what a swallowed battery does inside a child’s food pipe.




Button battery session plan

  • A flash card of child-appealing products powered by button batteries.

  • A workshop outline with questions to stimulate discussion and safety facts and tips to share.

Button battery poster

  • Illustrates the batteries that are most dangerous, plus places a small child can find them.

  • Display it at the end of your session and ask when parents can check their homes.

  • Then give parents their own copy. As well as ideas on what products to look for, it offers five top tips for button battery safety.

Simply go to our Session resources page to download your free copies.



You may also choose to show the heartbreaking video in which Harper-Lee’s mum urges other parents to check their homes for button batteries.


It’s very hard to watch. But her mum has bravely decided to share her story so other families don’t have to suffer the tragedy of losing a child they love.


Thank you for your support.

Recent Posts

See All